Exporting an image with Adobe Lightroom in PNG format can be very useful because with this format you do not lose a lot of details in the outlines. In addition, social network compression algorithms that deface photographs compress JPEG files a lot. In fact, if you upload a high-resolution photo in JPEG format and a photograph in PNG format you will immediately notice the difference in quality. PNG is better but weighs more anyway because JPEG is much more efficient in terms of file size.
There are plugins in Adobe Lightroom that allow you to export your files in the PNG format. The plugin we will talk about today is called Magic Export for Lightroom and is available for download at this address.
After downloading the zip file you need to unzip it. At this point, you should have a folder called MagicExport_v0.5. Inside this folder you’ll find another one called Magic Export.lrplugin
This is the plugin folder that interests us. The next step is to add the plugin in the Adobe Lightroom program. You must open the program and export an image to open the export window.
- In the export window you have to choose “plugin management”.
- In the plugin management window, you will click the button at the bottom left of “Add”.
- A window will open where you will enter the path of the folder containing the plugin. Now click Select Folder.
- You should see the plugin on the left side of the window. Close all windows.
- On Adobe Ligthroom you have to right-click and choose to export the image again.
Using this plugin is certainly not intuitive, I recommend you follow the next steps of the guide to Export an image with Adobe Lightroom in PNG format. You must choose “Magic Export” from the drop-down menu. You will notice on the right that something has changed. At the end of the window, you’ll see the Magic Export box at the bottom. Here in the drop-down menu you will choose PNG. On the right you can also specify the resolution. At this point click on “Export” and at the end of the process the PNG file will be exported to the destination folder you have chosen in the same window.